Corporate social responsibility
We appoint a charity each year to be our partner and support through key fundraising activities. For 2016, our charity partner is the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Previous charity partners have included Lupus UK, and we regularly support a range of charity campaigns throughout the UK, which includes Wooden Spoon Scotland, CHAS, Prostate Scotland, Breast Cancer Campaign, Radio Lollipop UK, Social Bite and local food bank initiatives.
Community & education
Working with clients on a range of projects, we explore the opportunities to create additional investment in the immediate community and facilitate the delivery of additional community services as a by-product of the core development, for example we identify opportunities within the team for fundraising and support for local events; investigate the potential for community use of the completed building; and ensure regular consultation/presentations to ensure community is fully informed, with regular updates through community newsletters.
Each generation has their own mark to make in the world, and the best start in life an individual can have is through education. We actively promote the opportunities of being part of the construction industry and reiterate the opportunities that T&A offer including:
- Taking part in secondary school and university/college career fairs to promote our business, the opportunities and the industry.
- At the university level, one our Directors, Neil Lyus, acts as a mentor to undergraduate students.
- We also aim to create opportunities for student placements / school visits and where possible, work with organisations such as Youthbuild to offer disadvantaged young people the chance to learn new skills on site.
Sustainable development is integral to the way that T&A works, and is a core value that drives the long-term success of our business ensuring a better quality of life, now and for generations to come.
Our Sustainable Development Policy details our aims and ambitions to support the implementation of Sustainable Investment, which includes focussing on:
- understand and balance the environmental, social and economic impacts of the decisions we make;
- enhance the economic, social and environmental benefits of our work;
- live within environmental limits, ensuring the prudent use of natural resources and the prevention of pollution;
- reduce, as far as is viable, the environmental impact of our operations;
- take a long term perspective in all that we do; and
- ensure a ‘whole business approach’ to sustainable development.
Our commitment to implementing our Sustainability Policy is paramount, with our ultimate goal to become a carbon neutral business by setting clear environmental objectives and targets; developing, implementing, monitoring and reviewing procedures to achieve these objectives; as well as maintaining a continuous improvement in environmental performance.
As part of this commitment, in our day to day business practices we ensure that all staff are aware of our environmental sustainability commitments and the part they play in this. We have successfully implemented initiatives including:
- Office waste recycling;
- Efficient and eco-friendly printer & cartridges;
- IT equipment upgrades to Energy Star 5.0 specifications;
- Responsible and sustainable office supplies purchasing ;
- Energy conservation in all offices;
- Cycle to Work scheme (UK); and
- Applying our sustainable development approach with clients and involved with various sustainable development initiatives in the UK and internationally including Waste & Resource Action Programme (WRAP).
Our people are at the core of what we do, and are our greatest asset. We value each individual’s skill, knowledge, passion and drive for our business, clients and industry. We continually strive to attract and retain the very best experts in the industry to ensure we consistently provide clients with the high quality services we deliver. To ensure this, we have created and implemented a comprehensive training programme for all levels of staff throughout the business, including CPD internal and external courses/seminars, APC and other industry regulated development opportunities.
Nurturing our culture and our people comes naturally; by living the T&A ethos we encourage positive living, team unity and a shared goal of providing quality service to clients.
“Most importantly there is evidence of a strong culture within the organisation which aims to ensure their service meets client needs”,
The City of Edinburgh Council