Title: Assistant/Graduate Quantity Surveyor
Reporting to: Partner/Director/Team Leader
Thomas & Adamson (T&A) are currently recruiting for an Assistant/Graduate QS. You will be self-motivated and have the ambition to work hard, learn and succeed in a dynamic professional environment.
This is a superb opportunity to join a proactive, collaborative and dynamic practice, with an enviable client list across a range of sectors, where you will have the opportunity of working alongside and learning from a highly skilled and experienced team. You will also be encouraged, mentored and supported in your pursuit of recognized industry qualifications.
As part of your role, you will be responsible for the following:
• Assisting senior colleagues with a wide variety of pre and post contract duties, ensuring at all times that best practice is employed.
• Assisting senior colleagues with administering project work in line with T&A policies, practices and procedures.
• Representing T&A in the marketplace.
• At all times acting on behalf of T&A in a polite and professional manner and ensuring that company values are maintained and promoted.
• Ensuring efficient and timely implementation of all tasks and project requirements and making every effort to assist with maintaining projects on time and on budget.
• Ensuring adequate and timely communication channels are in place, both internally and externally to support effective project delivery.
• Coordinating and preparing information to support the Client, seeking and listening to the Clients requirements and acting on them accordingly.
• Generally representing T&A in a professionally competent and positive manner, ensuring service quality and integrity is maintained to the highest possible standards.
• Reporting as appropriate to the client and other stakeholders in line with the client’s requirement with company standards.
Delivering great client experience
The Assistant QS will build strong, professional relationships with colleagues, clients, consultants and contractors, based on mutual respect, trust and integrity.
In this context, the role will involve:
• Representing T&A, under senior direction, at project meetings with clients, designers and contractors to provide advice on all aspects of project assignments and following up on actions assigned to T&A at all such meetings.
• Communicating clearly, concisely and coherently with colleagues, clients and other consultants regarding information required for the purpose of performing our services
• Identifying risks and issues with ongoing activities and positively identifying mitigation measures in a way that both protects the interests of the client, T&A and any other relevant stakeholders.
Suitable candidate will be:
• Able to demonstrate a minimum of 2 years relevant experience in a PQS environment
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent) or able to demonstrate experience in a relevant discipline.
• Able to demonstrate a good understanding of construction terminology and technology.
• Expected to demonstrate a range of strong core QS skills reflected in successfully project delivery ideally across a variety of industry sectors.
• Expected to demonstrate an understanding of the market, contractors and pricing levels.
• Able to demonstrate an excellent understanding of traditional and modern procurement routes and construction contract suites.
• Expected to have a good understanding of modern construction methods.
• Able to demonstrate excellent basic IT skills with Microsoft word and excel knowledge being essential.
• Knowledge of bespoke construction IT systems such as CATO, CostX, Microsoft Project or the like would be an advantage to the successful candidate.
• Demonstrate a degree of flexibility and willingness to work alongside colleagues to meet deadlines.
• With support from T&A, be prepared to build on their current qualifications with a view to obtaining MRICS status.
• Willing to make a commitment to continual learning and development, fulfilling the requirements of RICS CPD.
Suitable candidates will be expected to demonstrate their ability to:
- Prioritise and co-ordinate tasks efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Pay accurate and excellent attention to detail.
- Be pro-active and enjoy working autonomously and as part of a wider team.
- Be confident and assertive where required.
- Be sociable and outgoing.
- Have a flexible approach to work.
- Be a good role model for other members of the team.
- Understand and appreciate the importance of using discretion.
- Be a team player who deals effectively with colleagues and clients.
To apply for this position please email a copy of your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thomas & Adamson are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.