Reporting to: Regional Director/Associate Director
Hours: 36.5 hours per week; specific work patterns shall be subject to Thomas & Adamson’s flexible working policy and may vary from time to time to suit the project and/or specific work assignment.
You will be joining our existing team of building surveyors and be provided with opportunities to work on projects in both the public and private sectors.
This role would be suited to a Building Surveyor with 2-3 years post graduation experience who is working towards their APC. The candidate should ideally have a blend of survey (condition survey, PPM and/or pre-acquisition) and contract administration experience. A strong understanding of construction technology is required.
The position can be based out of our Glasgow or Edinburgh and will involve undertaking assignments primarily in Scotland but occasionally throughout the UK.
The Building Surveyor (BS) will be responsible for the following:
• Represent Thomas & Adamson on assignments and liaise between the client, other designers and the contractor to support the successful conclusion of project work.
• Inspect existing properties and develop scope, budget costs and programmes for implementation of proposed project works.
• Liaise with building occupiers to arrange access or for related logistical matters.
• Develop tender documentation and specifications using NBS.
• Manage and co-ordinate the tender process, analyse tender returns and prepare tender reports including recommendations for contractor appointment.
• Support the Contract Administrator activities; process required project notices and correspondence.
• Monitor the quality of works on site and ensure fully compliance by the contractor with the terms of the contract and related drawings and specification.
• Ensure others meet their obligations/responsibilities under their appointments and appropriate H&S legislation.
• At all times to act on behalf of Thomas & Adamson in a professional manner and ensure the company values are maintained and promoted.
• Undertake various types of survey work, including: dilapidation, PPM, condition, schedule of condition, pre-acquisition.
• Provide clear and concise reports and advise the client throughout the process to achieve their aims, all within the legal constraints applicable to the survey task.
• Support the development of cost estimates when needed within relevant reports.
• Generally representing Thomas & Adamson in a professionally competent and positive manner, ensuring service quality and integrity is maintained to the highest possible standards.
• Reporting to the client and other stakeholders in line with the client’s requirement with company standards.
Delivering Great Client Experience
The BS will build strong, professional relationships with clients, consultants and contractors, based on mutual respect, trust and integrity.
In this context, the role will involve:
• Representing T&A at project meetings with clients, designers and contractors and following up on actions assigned to T&A at all such meetings.
• Communicating clearly, concisely and coherently with the client and other consultants regarding information required for the purpose of performing our services
Managing and Motivating the Team
• The BS will work with all team members to understand client requirements/deadlines and how best to deploy resource efficiently to achieve these requirements/deadlines.
• The BS will liaise regularly with mentors and will seek support when issues and challenges on assignments arise.
• The BS will engage in professional development and training within the business and externally.
In doing all of this, the BS will act in a manner which fully reflects the cultural values of Thomas & Adamson; confident, honest, responsible, supportive.
• A Building Surveyor with at least 2 years post-graduation experience.
• Able to demonstrate awareness of current legislation relating to Health & Safety and Building Regulations.
• Able to demonstrate an understanding of Contract Administration and Project Management processes.
• Required to demonstrate an involvement and awareness of various types of survey work, including Dilapidations, Due Diligence Survey Work, Schedules of Condition and Planned Maintenance Inspections.
• Have an interest in construction technology and the interplay between the construction process and building defects.
• Be proficient in the use of CAD with a working knowledge of building standards and related processes
Suitable candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
• Ability to prioritise and co-ordinate tasks efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met.
• Accurate and excellent attention to detail.
• Pro-active and enjoys working autonomously and as part of a wider team.
• Confident and assertive where required.
• Sociable and outgoing.
• Flexible approach to work.
• Good role model for junior members of the team.
• Understands and appreciates the importance of using discretion.
• Team player who deals effectively with colleagues and clients.
To apply for this position email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com