Job Title: M&E Quantity Surveyor/Estimator – Assistant / Graduate / Intermediate levels
Reporting to: Partner/Associate Director
Location: Flexible but could be Edinburgh, Glasgow or London
Hours: 36.5 hours per week; specific hours as required to suit the project and specific appointment
Thomas and Adamson’s (T&A) specialist M&E surveying department is growing with a number of new wins, including a new multi-billion pound fabrication building in the USA for a world leading silicon innovation company.
The opportunity for those with the right credentials, is to be involved in great projects including one of the most exciting and largest global projects at this time. The individuals would be UK based, but with opportunities to travel overseas.
Thomas & Adamson are currently recruiting for a mechanical and electrical QS/estimator. You will be self-motivated and have the ambition to work hard, learn and succeed in a dynamic professional environment.
Applicants are invited from candidates educated to a degree level or post graduate level in quantity surveying. Previous experience in mechanical and electrical building services is required.
Applicants are also invited from candidates with an applicable mechanical or electrical building services degree or contracting background where relative experience in the field can be demonstrated.
This is a superb opportunity to join a proactive, collaborative and dynamic practice, and be involved in great projects, including a fantastic multi billion pound project in the USA, where you will have the opportunity of working alongside and learning from a highly skilled and experienced team.
As part of your role, you will be responsible for the following:
• Providing M&E QS/estimating services on a wide variety of pre and post contract duties, ensuring at all times that best practice is employed.
• Providing M&E QS/estimating services in support of the client project team in the USA, within a T&A team based in the UK.
• At all times acting on behalf of T&A in a polite and professional manner and ensuring that company values are maintained and promoted.
• Ensuring efficient and timely implementation of all tasks and project requirements and making every effort to assist with maintaining projects on time and on budget.
• Ensuring adequate and timely communication channels are in place, both internally and externally to support effective project delivery.
• Coordinating and preparing information to support the client, seeking and listening to the client’s requirements and acting on them accordingly.
Delivering great client experience
The candidate will build strong, professional relationships with colleagues, clients, consultants and contractors, based on mutual respect, trust and integrity.
In this context, the role will involve:
• Representing T&A at project meetings with clients, designers and contractors to provide advice on all aspects of project assignments and following up on actions assigned to T&A at all such meetings.
• Communicating clearly, concisely and coherently with colleagues, clients and other consultants regarding information required for the purpose of performing our services
• Identifying risks and issues with ongoing activities and positively identifying mitigation measures in a way that both protects the interests of the client, T&A and any other relevant stakeholders.
Suitable candidate will be:
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent) or able to demonstrate experience in a relevant discipline.
• Able to demonstrate a good understanding of mechanical and electrical terminology and technology.
• Preferably able to demonstrate a range of strong core M&E QS skills reflected in successfully project delivery ideally across a variety of industry sectors. Alternatively experience in fulfilling an M&E building services design or estimating role.
• Expected to demonstrate an understanding of the market, contractors and pricing levels.
• Expected to have a good understanding of modern construction methods.
• Able to demonstrate excellent basic IT skills with Microsoft Word and Excel knowledge being essential.
• Knowledge of bespoke construction IT systems such as CATO, CostX, Microsoft Project, Navisworks and Bluebeam or the like would be an advantage to the successful candidate.
• Demonstrate a degree of flexibility and willingness to work alongside colleagues to meet deadlines.
• Willing to make a commitment to continual learning and development, fulfilling the requirements of RICS CPD.
Suitable candidates will be expected to demonstrate their ability to:
• Prioritise and coordinate tasks efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met.
• Pay accurate and excellent attention to detail.
• Be pro-active and enjoy working autonomously and as part of a wider team.
• Be confident and assertive where required.
• Be sociable and outgoing.
• Have a flexible approach to work.
• Be a good role model for other members of the team.
• Understand and appreciate the importance of using discretion.
• Be a team player who deals effectively with colleagues and clients.
To apply for this position email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com