Title: Project Manager (SPM)
Reporting to: Director/ Partner
Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow
Working Hours: Full time; specific work patterns shall be subject to Thomas & Adamson’s flexible working policy and may vary from time to time to suit the project and/or specific work assignment.
To provide project management services in a client-facing role, liaising with and co-ordinating other project team members towards the successful conclusion of projects in line with project management appointments across multiple projects.
• Education to degree level
• Either 2 years of project management or
• 5 years in a related construction industry field with relevant experience (i.e. QS with Employer’s Agent experience, Architect with Contract Administration experience, etc)
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for the following:
Providing Excellent Technical Services
The PM is responsible for delivering technical services under consultancy agreements executed between Thomas & Adamson and their client. The role specifically includes:
• Supporting the development of a Project Management Plan for each project which sets forth the project strategy and communication lines to be followed by all project stakeholders
• Establishing project master programme including identification of milestones and assignation of activities to project team members.
• Reviewing and commenting on proposed construction programmes and liaising with planners regarding required changes or enhancements.
• Liaising with various project stakeholders to fully understand the project requirements and developing a project brief that provides all team members with a clear understanding of the project requirements and key performance indicators from a time, quality and financial perspective.
• Establishing and implementing appropriate project meeting structure; chairing meetings with contractors, consultants and clients and preparing minutes accordingly.
• Reviewing and following-up on actions – liaising with clients, contractors and designers on a regular basis to ensure actions are concluded as required by the project.
• Drafting Request for Proposals (RFPs) and appointment documents for issue to appropriate vendors.
• Assisting in the preparation of tender documents, including liaising with the Cost Management department (or external QS teams) to ensure a full and comprehensive understanding of the project is conveyed and reflected in project Tenders.
• Reviewing tender returns to determine technical compliance and raising any associated queries.
• Leading negotiations with contractors on behalf of clients to ensure construction values represent best value, when instructed to do so.
Managing Risk, Delivering Value
• Reviewing design packages to determine compliance with the client’s brief and raising any associated queries.
• Chairing value engineering and risk review workshops and preparing associated schedules for issue to the project team.
• Tracking the implementation of risk mitigation activities and value engineering opportunities and reporting to the client accordingly.
• Reviewing Contractor’s claims for delay events; working with commercial team to establish entitlement based on site records and specific contract requirements.
• Reviewing/monitoring contractor progress and commercial matters and preparing regular reports relating to the current project status.
• Reviewing/monitoring the quality of works on-site and raising necessary instructions for defect rectification
• Co-ordinating with the design team where required to ensure all contract requirements are being entirely fulfilled by the Contractor.
• Co-ordinating responses to technical queries or requests for information received from contractors.
• Processing Contract Instructions and other contractual procedures required of the Contract Administrator role (where required by our appointment).
• Ensuring project files are well maintained and the document controller is fully conversant with agreed communication protocols.
• Providing other PM support as directed by the Partner/Director and/or required by project appointments.
• Overseeing / reviewing / approving the work of sub-consultants or directly appointed project team members in a positive and constructive manner, as may be required for the delivery of project appointments.
• Generally representing Thomas & Adamson in a professionally competent and positive manner, ensuring service quality and integrity is maintained to the highest possible standards.
Delivering Great Client Experience
The PM is a key client interface role and will be responsible for representing T&A in a manner that reflects the company’s values; providing a personal, quality focussed service that reflects the client’s business objectives.
The PM will build strong, professional relationships with clients, consultants and contractors, based on mutual respect, trust and integrity.
In this context, the role will involve:
• Representing T&A at project meetings with clients, designers and contractors to provide advice on all aspects of project assignments and following up on actions assigned to T&A at all such meetings.
• Communicating clearly, concisely and coherently with the client and other consultants regarding information required for the purpose of performing our services.
• Identifying risks and issues with ongoing activities and positively identifying mitigation measures in a way that both protects the interests of the client, Thomas & Adamson and any other relevant stakeholders.
Managing and Motivating the Project Team
The PM may be responsible for overseeing the activities of Design Consultants, Contractors, Cost Managers / Quantity Surveyors or other supporting roles in the delivery of project management services.
The PM will work with all team members to understand client requirements/deadlines and how best to deploy resource efficiently to achieve these requirements/deadlines.
The PM will participate in professional development and training activities and generally work to continually develop their knowledge and experience in the field of construction project management.
To apply for this position please forward a copy of your CV and covering letter to email@example.com