Title: Senior Building Surveyor
Reporting to: Regional Director/Associate Director
Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow
Hours: 36.5 hours per week; specific work patterns shall be subject to Thomas & Adamson’s flexible working policy and may vary from time to time to suit the project and/or specific work assignment.
You will be joining our existing team of building surveyors and be provided with opportunities to work on projects in both the public and private sectors.
This role would be suited to a Chartered Building Surveyor with 2-3 years post qualification experience. The candidate should have a blend of survey (condition survey, PPM, pre-acquisition) and contract administration experience. A strong understanding of construction technology is required and experience in undertaking quality monitoring of construction works would be preferable.
The position can be based out of our Glasgow or Edinburgh and will involve undertaking assignments primarily in Scotland but occasionally throughout the UK.
The Senior Building Surveyor (SBS) will be responsible for the following:
• Act as the interface for projects between the client, other designers and the contractor to support the successful conclusion of project work.
• Inspect existing properties and develop scope, budget costs and programmes for implementation of proposed project works.
• Liaise regularly with the client to understand fully their requirements and the underlying project drivers; keep them regularly appraised of project activities.
• Provide guidance on the most effective procurement approach to achieve project deliverables.
• Management of appropriate design, programme and cost information as the project developed to support decision making by the client.
• Ensure appropriate communication channels are in place to support effective project delivery.
• Develop tender documentation and specifications using NBS.
• Manage and co-ordinate the tender process, analyse tender returns and prepare tender reports including recommendations for contractor appointment.
• Chair and minute project meetings; act as Contract Administrator and process all required project notices and correspondence.
• Monitor the quality of works on site and ensure fully compliance by the contractor with the terms of the contract and related drawings and specification.
• Ensure others meet their obligations/responsibilities under their appointments and appropriate H&S legislation.
• At all times to act on behalf of Thomas & Adamson in a professional manner and ensure the company values are maintained and promoted.
• Undertake various types of survey work, including: dilapidation, PPM, condition, schedule of condition, pre-acquisition.
• Provide clear and concise reports and advise the client throughout the process to achieve their aims, all within the legal constraints applicable to the survey task.
• Coordinate and prepare reports for the projects you are responsible for.
• Provide cost advice to clients when needed for both project work and within relevant reports.
• Overseeing/reviewing/approving the work of sub-consultants or junior members of staff in a positive and constructive manner, as may be required for the delivery of project appointments.
• Generally representing Thomas & Adamson in a professionally competent and positive manner, ensuring service quality and integrity is maintained to the highest possible standards.
• Reporting to the client and other stakeholders in line with the client’s requirement with company standards.
Managing and Motivating the Team
• The SBS will play a key role in resource allocation, working with all team members to understand client requirements/deadlines and how best to deploy resource efficiently to achieve these requirements/deadlines.
• The SBS will fulfil a leadership role with more junior members of the business and will support those individuals in dealing with issues and challenges on projects in a positive and professional manner.
• The SBS will assist with the professional development and training of more junior members of staff within the business.
In doing all of this, the SBS will act in a manner which fully reflects the cultural values of Thomas & Adamson; confident, honest, responsible, supportive.
Suitable candidates will be:
• A Chartered Building Surveyor with at least 2 years post qualification experience.
• Able to demonstrate awareness of current legislation relating to Health & Safety and Building Regulations.
• Able to demonstrate Contract Administration and Project Management skills across a range of projects and successful delivery of them.
• Required to demonstrate an involvement and awareness of Dilapidations, Due Diligence Survey Work, Schedules of Condition and Planned Maintenance Inspections.
• Have an interest in construction technology and the interplay between the construction process and building defects.
• Be proficient in the use of CAD with a working knowledge of building standards and related processes
• Able to demonstrate your involvement with several clients and that you have been able to establish good working relationships with them.
Suitable candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
• Ability to prioritise and co-ordinate tasks efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met.
• Accurate and excellent attention to detail.
• Pro-active and enjoys working autonomously and as part of a wider team.
• Confident and assertive where required.
• Sociable and outgoing.
• Flexible approach to work.
• Good role model for junior members of the team.
• Understands and appreciates the importance of using discretion.
• Team player who deals effectively with colleagues and clients.
To apply for this position please forward a copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org